Summer Scares Resources

Click here to immediately access the Summer Scares Resource page so that you can add some professionally vetted horror titles into your reading suggestions and fiction collections for all age levels.

Saturday, October 27, 2018

31 Days of Horror: Day 27- Stephen King Readalikes for Scaredy-Cats

Last week, Get Booked [the book recommendation podcast from Book Riot] dedicated an entire episode to matching specific Stephen King titles to less scary readalikes.

Click here for the page with the titles they recommended, but you have to listen [easily done on that page also] to hear which books get matched to which King title.

I made sure to listen to the entire episode and I think they did a very good job.

I am a big fan of listening to Get Booked every week for a few reasons:

  • It gives us extra practice by giving us access to actual RA questions. They are varied, interesting, and at times, highly specific. In other words, they are just like the questions we get at the desk, but its a whole lot more of them then we encounter in the course of our busy days.
  • You can listen for the questions and then hit pause and go find an answer for yourself. It is a great practice or training exercise for staff.
  • You can also learn about new titles you would never know about by listening to the hosts book talk their suggestions. I have 100% suggested a book to a reader based solely off of Amanda or Jen's book talk during the episode. They allow me to know about a whole lot more titles than I could ever read on my own.
  • When they give their recs they focus on the appeal not the plot, just as we do too.
  • You can access all of their questions and the recommendations on the podcast's home page too, in text.
I think this specific episode of Stephen King Readalikes for Scaredy Cats will be perfect for you to use as you help readers all year long, since many people say to us all of the time, "Well I don't like horror but my favorite author is Stephen King."

You know you've heard that more than once.

Finally, you can also see this episode from 2015 when I was a guest host of Get Booked and Amanda and I handled specific horror questions. Those are definitely not for scaredy cats though.

No comments:

Post a Comment