Summer Scares Resources

Click here to immediately access the Summer Scares Resource page so that you can add some professionally vetted horror titles into your reading suggestions and fiction collections for all age levels.

Thursday, January 9, 2020

Library Journal Horror Review Column: January 2020


2020 brings with it more jobs for me and expanded horror coverage for all of you. Library Journal has hired me to provide a horror review column 4x a year beginning with the January 2020 issue. I will also have columns in the April, June and August issues as well as continuing to provide a comprehensive horror preview article in July as I have done over the last two years, and continue to provide a fun list in the October issue for Neal Wyatt's Reader's Shelf column. [I like that one a lot because I get to choose the topic and the books don't have to be new.]

I am also working to include some bonus content with each column, more of a deep dive into a topic, author, or title with each column. This month I have a profile on Australian horror best seller, Darcy Coates and her flurry of titles coming to America in 2020. And, I already have a great interview planned for the April column too. The bonus content will be determined by trends, issues, news, etc... for each column; it will be flexible and give me a space to addresses timely content in the magazine.

I am very excited about this new venture and I am actively seeking titles to include in the column. Please contact me if you want to send me titles to consider for the column, especially if you are from a small press. I am NOT accepting manuscripts directly from authors at this time. Please have your publisher contact me and put "Library Journal" in the subject or go through my editor, Kiera Parrott.

I would also like to remind everyone that I am still reviewing horror for Booklist. For example, I have a review of the upcoming Grady Hendrix title combine in that publication soon. I will NEVER review a title in both places. This means some big name titles may not be in my Library Journal column but they will appear in Booklist.

Since these Library Journal horror reviews drop all at once, I will be posting the link to the column here on the blog as well as the bibliographic info for each title. This will also be the only place where my "Three Words" will appear. These reviews will also be cataloged in my Horror Review Index on the horror blog. Access is the key here. I want you to be able to find quality horror for your libraries and patrons through as many platforms as possible and as easily as possible. In my 2020 Reading Resolutions I talked about not making excuses anymore when it comes to horror coverage and I mean it.

Now let's do this. Bring on the horror...




or see below for links to individual reviews

The reviews from this column, in alphabetical order, with my "Three Words" are as follows:
  • Carson, Scott. The Chill. Emily Bestler: Atria. Feb. 2020. 448p. ISBN 9781982104597. $27. Horror
    • Three Words That Describe This Book: historical, fast paced, thriller-esque
  • STAR REVIEW: Graham Jones, Stephen. The Only Good Indians. Saga: S. & S. May 2020. 320p. ISBN 9781982136451. $26.99. Horror
    • Three Words That Describe This Book: lyrical, revenge, heartbreakingly beautiful
  • STAR REVIEW Katsu, Alma. The Deep. Putnam. Mar. 2020. 432p. ISBN 9780525537908. $27. Horror
    • Three Words That Describe This Book: menacing, historical details, occult
  • STAR REVIEW: Lullabies For Suffering: Tales of Addiction Horror. Wicked Run. Jan. 2020. 258p. ed. by Mark Matthews. ISBN 9780578588841. pap. $14.99. Horror
    • Three Words That Describe This Book: chilling, thought provoking, timely issues
  • Marsh, Richard. The Beetle. Poisoned Pen: Sourcebooks. (Haunted Library of Horror Classics). Apr. 2020. 400p. ed. by Chelsea Yarbro & Les Klinger. ISBN 9781492699712. $14.99. Horror
    • Three Words That Describe This Book: forgotten classic, thought provoking, bugs!
  • Parker, K.J. Prosper’s Demon. Tor.com. Jan. 2020. 104p. ISBN 9781250260512. pap. $11.99. Horror
    • Three Words That Describe This Book: engaging narrator, demonic possession, great world building
  • Trussoni, Danielle. The Ancestor. Morrow. Apr. 2020. 400p. ISBN 9780062912756. $27.99. Horror
    • Three Words That Describe This Book: strong world building, timely issues, claustrophobic 

1 comment:

  1. Awesome that you are bringing more regular horror reviews to Library Journal!

    ReplyDelete