Today is October 1st and here we are again with 31 Days of Horror.
Each year 31 Days of Horror grows in readership. While some of you are here all year long, even when this blog is limited to my weekly #HorrorForLibraries giveaways, each year I get many new people joining in on the spooky blog-a-thon fun.
Now with Why I Love Horror: Essays in Horror Literature out in the world for a full year, and having won the Bram Stoker Award for both Short Nonfiction and Long Nonfiction, there is even more eyes on 31 Days of Horror.
But even with the book out and succeeding, the Why I Love Horror train stops for no one and I have solicited over a dozen Why I Love Horror essays being published here on the blog for the very first time. And it will all start today with Katherine Daniel a debut author with Berkley.
But, first things first, if you have never encountered 31 Days of Horror before well, I have been doing this event since 2011.
[Side note, it all began inauspiciously with this post. Nothing special, just a basic post about the appeal of Horror, but I htinkit is important to acknowledge that inauspicious beginning.]
The entire idea of 31 Days of Horror, began as a way to help library workers during the time of year when they need the most help with Horror. However, I did not want this series to become a list of lists either.
From that desire to give you something original and useful was born a concurrent series entitled Why I Love Horror. In this series, that runs mostly, but not only, during October, I reach out to people in the Horror world and invite them to contribute essays written for you-- the general library worker. These invited people are told to share why they love horror as a creator and fan in 1500 words or less. Once again, I have quite an exciting lineup planned.
My goal with the "Why I Love Horror" series has always been to expose you to people you should know about AND give you even more context for appeal. I can give you all the examples in the world of why people enjoy feeling scared when they read, but until you hear from actual fans, fans who also create Horror, it is hard to understand, especially for the vast majority of you who don't enjoy Horror for yourselves.
Over the years I have had many people contribute to the Why I Love Horror series from up and comers [some of whom have gone on to become big names] to firmly established authors to folks who love horror in the library world.
You can click here to see them all. "Why I Love Horror" is also a searchable tag any time, just like 31 Days of Horror.
"Why I Love Horror" is an excellent resource to help you help readers, and it is a Horror RA resource you cannot find anywhere else.
But the blog is going to post every single day for 31 days in a row, so there is plenty of time to talk about all of this in more detail. Today, we are rushing straight with an original Why I Love Horror essay from Katherine Dunn, the author of When The Night Comes Knocking, her debut, Appalachian horror novel in which two estranged siblings become trapped in a convenience store under attack by a monster from the mountains who feasts on guilty hearts.
When The Night Comes Knocking is coming out October 20th from Berkley, but I have an ARC for one lucky winner today.
But wait....there's more. I want to start this month of supersized giveaways with 2 more titles, also going to the one winner.
I also have a finished, hardcover copy of the Welsh Folk Horror novel, The Hill in the Dark Grove by Liam Higginson courtesy of Hogarth which came out on August 11th AND an ARC of the Lit RPG horror novel, The Ship of Death by Kyle Winkler courtesy of the Harper Collins Library Marketing team. This novel came out this past Tuesday.
Click here to see last week's giveaway and review the rules on how to enter. You enter once and you are entered going forward.
Good luck.
And now, please meet debut horror novelist Katherine Dunn and learn why she loves horror.
ππππππππππππππππ
Why I Love Horror: Essay by Katherine Daniel
ππππππππππππππππ

No comments:
Post a Comment