Summer Scares Resources

Click here to immediately access the Summer Scares Resource page so that you can add some professionally vetted horror titles into your reading suggestions and fiction collections for all age levels.

Monday, June 23, 2014

6 Horror Magazines You Should Be Reading

This week I am going to have a series of posts on shorter, fun horror related topics. These will all be great ideas for a wide range of libraries and their patrons.

Today I want to start with a list from litreactor on 6 horror magazines you should be reading.  These are high quality magazines that regularly publish Bram Stoker nominated short fiction as well as some by bigger name authors.  Many of these magazines have been around long enough to be included in my book in the “Resources” chapter too, so I can attest to the fact that they are worth the attention of a public library audience.

So click through and read up on them.

A more general comment on genre magazine though.  Like many libraries, my adult fiction is not very close to the periodicals section.  I have been interested in moving the literary magazines and NYT Book Review to our area.  If we could do that I would also be able to add more genre fiction magazines, particularly ones for romance, mystery, sf, fantasy, and horror (our most popular genres).  The problem is, as things stand now, if I were to add genre fiction fan magazines, they would not be read.  The genre readers would be on the main floor and the magazines would be in the basement. If I had them all by me, many readers would enjoy them.

But if you are at a library where you can get genre magazines somewhere near your genre sections, go for it!  It is a great way to provide passive RA service and introduce your genre fans to new voices.

No comments:

Post a Comment