Summer Scares Resources

Click here to immediately access the Summer Scares Resource page so that you can add some professionally vetted horror titles into your reading suggestions and fiction collections for all age levels.

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

31 Days of Horror: Day 19-- Guest Post by G.A. Minton

Today I begin 2 days of guest posts by authors you might not know about, making their case to you-- the library worker-- as to why your patrons might want to read their books.

I love these posts because the authors have not only opened up to you about themselves, their inspiration, and their writing, but they have also given you some wonderful book talking points to hand sell these titles.

You will see what I mean.

We being with G.A. Minton, the author of Trisomy XXI who appeared on this blog previously in my Library Journal debuts horror list

****************************************************

The Savant Horror Author by G.A. Minton
Truth is stranger than fiction, so they say. I’m a believer in that adage, because it happened to me, and it has changed my life! This is how my new novel, TRISOMY XXI, came into being. A few years ago, I was rear-ended by a speeding, drunk driver, resulting in my car being totaled and sending me to the hospital emergency room. As a result of this devastating car accident, I suffered a closed-head injury, which left me with memory loss and the inability to effectively communicate with others.
After numerous visits to a neurologist and months of taking medication used by patients afflicted with Alzheimer’s Disease, my injured brain slowly began to mend itself. When the damage to my brain finally healed though, I noticed something very different in my thought patterns. Now, I had this overwhelming urge, this compulsive desire to put on paper a fascinating story that had formed de novo in my mind. I can’t explain it, but my thoughts were now primarily focused on writing this tale of horror. That’s how TRISOMY XXI was born. One could only surmise that the damaged neurons in my frontal cortex had rearranged themselves into a different pattern, thereby enhancing the creative elements of my brain. God only knows. . .stranger things have happened! 
From my earliest recollections as a young child, I have always loved the genres of horror and science fiction, so that is probably where TRISOMY XXI was spawned—from the deepest reaches of my inner mind. As a result of my savant-like experience, I am now able to pen novels in a  freestyle fashion, almost in a stream of consciousness, relying on no outlines, formats, or templates for any assistance. Fortunately, the narrative is able to flow freely from my vivid imagination, ending up with a thrilling storyline that contains an ordered sequence of events for its reader. 
The definition of a savant is “a person who does not have normal intelligence but who has very unusual mental abilities that other people do not have.” Savant syndrome “is a condition in which a person with a mental disability, such as an autism spectrum disorder, demonstrates profound and prodigious capacities or abilities far in excess of what would be considered normal.” I do know that I don’t have savant syndrome, because I am not autistic, and my IQ has been measured at 161. Another form of savantism, known as acquired savant syndrome, is attributed to “a person who acquires prodigious capabilities or skills following dementia, a head injury or severe blow to the head, or other disturbance.” According to medical studies, acquired savant syndrome is an extremely rare condition, affecting very few people in the world. I don’t know for sure if I have acquired savant syndrome, but I do know that something definitely bolstered my creative writing skills, which appear to have occurred as a direct result of my brain injury and resultant healing process. Whatever did happen to me, I consider it to be a gift (though at the time, I didn’t think so), therefore, as long as I can retain this newfound ability, I will continue to write—especially since I do have a passion for it.
Because of the strange happenings associated with the head injury I sustained and the resultant ability to write creatively, it appears that my surreal experience is indeed a part of the whole scheme of things—I can’t wait to see what comes next! As a result, I have developed a passion for writing, which is now a labor of love for me. Writing has also allowed me to connect with others through my stories, hopefully stirring up those emotions that will bring excitement and entertainment to all of my readers. Penning a thrilling tale of horror provides  peace of mind, a sense of accomplishment, and teaches me patience—a necessity for any author who wishes to write well. An author must always remember that “The pen is mightier than the sword!” My goal in writing TRISOMY XXI was to produce a thrilling tale of mystery, horror, and science fiction that would mesmerize, enthrall, and horrify its reader. If readers do derive enjoyment from my book, and are unable to put it down, then I will have accomplished my mission!           
TRISOMY XXI, a horror/sci-fi/mystery novel, is the thrilling tale about the adventures of Joshua Allen, a sixteen-year-old boy who was born with an extra chromosome—a genetic aberration known as Trisomy XXI, or Down Syndrome. When a serious accident leaves him in a coma at the hospital, Joshua receives a mysterious injection that endows him with supernatural powers. The transformed teen is linked to a string of bizarre, unexplained deaths that have both the town’s sheriff and the coroner baffled. But when a ghastly creature from another planet lands on Earth and begins its hunt for Joshua—viciously slaughtering anyone in its path in order to complete its deadly mission—Joshua and his friends are thrown into a world of horror that is totally out of control. What follows is a horrific life-and-death struggle with the seemingly-indestructible extraterrestrial being. The salvation of an entire race of aliens hangs in the balance!
A unique novel unlike any other book you have ever read, TRISOMY XXI will provide an epicurean feast of horror, science fiction, and mystery—all seasoned with a pinch of humor that will satiate the appetite of even the most gourmet of readers.  If the likes of Stephen King, Clive Barker, and Michael Crichton were ever to have collectively penned a spine-tingling tale of horror, this would be it! Delivering a roller-coaster ride full of thrills for its unsuspecting audience, TRISOMY XXI will intrigue every intelligent reader with its alluring array of unforeseen twists and turns. Packed with tension and excitement, this chimeric version of Alien meets The Thing is a powerful story that is guaranteed to capture your immediate attention. You won’t be able to put this book down! TRISOMY XXI, awarded Five-Stars by READERS’ FAVORITE BOOK REVIEWS, has been nominated for a 2016 INDIE Award  in the “horror” and “science fiction” categories, and was recommended for consideration of a 2016 Bram Stoker Award in the “new novel” category.
I  recently completed my second novel, ANTITHEUS, a dark, supernatural tale of horror that takes Good versus Evil to a whole new level. The Florida Writers Association has notified me that ANTITHEUS is a finalist in the unpublished book-length fiction - mystery genre category of the 2016 Royal Palm Literary Awards (RPLA) competition, which I am thrilled about. Currently, my neurons are busy at work processing a third manuscript, a horrifying mystery involving the macabre, which like my other books, contains an O. Henry or Rod Serling surprise ending that would baffle even the likes of the great Sherlock Holmes! 
From my early childhood, I have always been a diehard fan of science fiction and horror. Whenever a scary movie was playing down at the local theatre, I was there in attendance with my friends, loudly screaming in terror alongside them. I enjoy many hobbies, but the game of golf is one of my favorites, having lettered on my high school golf team. Besides writing, I also enjoys reading, traveling, fishing, swimming, snorkeling, working out, listening to hard rock music, and watching great movies—especially those genres that encompass horror, science fiction, mystery, and comedy. I live in Texas with his wife, a son and daughter, and two Bengal cats named Phinneas and Shamus. Many of my friends now refer to me as “the savant horror author.”  
I do have a host of favorite authors, which include the likes of Edgar Allan Poe, Stephen King, Clive Barker, H.P. Lovecraft, Bram Stoker, Ray Bradbury, Mary Shelley, Robert Louis Stevenson, H.G. Wells, Rod Serling, Michael Crichton, Shirley Jackson, Dean Koontz, and Robin Cook, just to name a few.
You can find out more information about G.A. Minton and Trisomy XXI at the websites listed below:
http://www.worldcastlepublishing.com/author_g_a_minton.html for G.A. Minton author webpage at World Castle Publishing
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/15065482.G_A_Minton for G.A. Minton author webpage at Goodreads
https://twitter.com/horrornovelist for G.A. Minton Twitter URL page

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHxi6MGk1FQ for TRISOMY XXI HD YouTube book trailer

No comments:

Post a Comment