Please feel free to participate on either blog in the comments.
Monday Discussion: What's the Scariest Book You Ever Read?
Today marks the middle of October. We are smack dab in the middle of the time of year when even the timid try out a scary book. Today I want to know what the scariest book you ever read was. I would also like to know about any movies or tv shows that freaked you out too.
Feel free to share an experience from when you were a kid too. I have found that those "scary" memories from horror books or movies that we encountered as children stay with us longer. In fact, last night, my sister-in-law was sharing a story about how even remembering watching Amityville Horror (the movie) at a birthday party stills scares her.
“The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty. It feels so real, like it could actually happen, and even though I do not believe in possession, I can’t shake the feeling that it could be true. That is terrifying. A close second would be Shirley Jackson’s The Haunting of Hill House. This one is scary because of the sense of dread that permeates the book from the start. The tension never lifts and you are in a permanent state of fear and anxiety while reading it, and even long after you finish.”Last year I also asked this question in a series of Monday Discussions. These links include my answer to each question and the full comments with your responses.
- Click here to see the discussion on people's favorite scary stories.
- Click here to see the discussion on people's favorite scary movies.
- Click here to see the discussion on people's favorite scary TV series.
- Book: The zombie novels of Joe McKinney are terrifyingly realistic, mostly due to the fact that McKinney is a law enforcement officer and disater migration specialist. He knows exactly how a zombie plagues could spread and destroy civilazation. I talked about his linked zombie novels at PLA; here is a link.
- Movies: The Final Destination movies are the most scary I have seen in a long time. People, you cannot cheat death. If death wants you, it will get you. Another thing I have learned form these movies, death is creative.
- TV Series: Last year's American Horror Story was so great because of how unsettling it was. Click here to see more about what I had to say last year. I cannot wait for the new season to begin on Wednesday.