Summer Scares Resources

Click here to immediately access the Summer Scares Resource page so that you can add some professionally vetted horror titles into your reading suggestions and fiction collections for all age levels.

Monday, October 5, 2020

31 Days of Horror: Day 5- Library Journal October Reviews and Mary SanGiovanni with a Cosmic Horror Primer for Library Workers

Below are the links to my reviews appearing in the October 2020 Library Journal Horror Review column with my three words added. They are all also in the Horror Review Index and on Goodreads.

There were three starred reviews:

  • Clark, P. Djèlí. Ring Shout [thought provoking, fun, satire]
  • Danforth, Emily M. Plain Bad Heroines  [immersive, character centered, intricately plotted]
  • Kiste, Gwendolyn. Boneset & Feathers  [lyrical, fluid style, social justice]

And five glowing reviews:

I highly recommend adding all of these books to your collections. I work hard to curate this column to provide a wide range of titles for a general horror audience. I have greatly enjoyed this, my first year as the first ever Horror Review columnist for Library Journal and look forward to year two beginning with the January issue.

But there is more than just my reviews in the October issue. As I wrote about on Friday, this month I am also involved in an online discussion of Lovecraft Country with Library Journal. To support that I asked horror author and the Queen of Cosmic Horror, Mary SanGiovanni to help us all out. We worked on this Q&A abut Lovecraft and the subgenre he inspired. We aimed at providing you, the average library worker, a primer on Cosmic Horror. The piece is just that, an excellent place to start and it includes a list of SanGiovanni's must know titles in the subgenre.

Click here to read our conversation and bookmark it for future use. I have also indexed it on the Original Horror Lists, Articles, and Presentations page so you can find it again easily [see yesterday's post for details]. It is an indispensable tool for understanding Lovecraft, his horribleness as a person, and his lasting impact on a new generation.

Later this month, I will be posting my final contribution to the October Issue of Library Journal, but that one comes with a giveaway, so you will all have to patient. 

No comments:

Post a Comment